To build a better food future we can all make a difference. By taking small actions everyday, young Australians can start to change the food system as we know it.
To help you find out how YOU can take action, YFM has put together a list of restaurants, businesses, retailers, educators and short courses around Sydney where you can support, learn about and help grow a more sustainable food future.
If you’re doing, or know about, something great and it’s not listed here, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find your way through Australia’s rich network of sustainable cafes, farmers markets, farmer connections workshops and more with the help of Local Harvest.
Track down your nearest farmers market through the Australian Farmers Markets Association. If you’re a Sydney-sider, find your nearest market from the following list or venture afar to visit something new.
RESTAURANTS / PROGRAMS / SUPPLIERS
Sydney is the proud home to a burgeoning number of food businesses with a conscience. Keep an eye out for the following cafes, restaurants and programs who are walking the talk when it comes to sourcing and celebrating local, seasonal and ethical food.
Feather and Bone | Marrickville
Vini | Surry Hills
Berta | Sydney
Ester | Chippendale
Billy Kwong | Surry Hills
Three Blue Ducks | Bronte
Kitchen by Mike | Alexandria
Pilu at Freshwater | Freshwater
Cornersmith | Marrickville
Gather Round | Marrickville
Full Circle | Inner city
Kristen Allan Cheesemaker | Marrickville
The Urban Beehive | Marrickville
SYDNEY FOOD BOXES
- Food Connect Food Connect Sydney works to improve the viability of local sustainable farmers. They source their produce as close to Sydney as possible and never out of NSW, and work with chemical free producers.
- Ooooby Ooooby, or Out Of Our Own BackYards, started as an idea to tackle the effect the industrial food system was having on communities. You pick what’s in your box, they source from local Sydney producers and delivery it to your door. Simple!
- The Vege Box Sustainably grown, seasonal vegetables, fruit & free range eggs, selected by Shane & Amanda & delivered to your door. Covering your basic needs with a few interesting twists & recipes to inspire! Based in Otford, they deliver from Helensburgh to Thirroul and the inner west, inner city & eastern suburbs of Sydney. Contact them at: email@example.com
- Fruitman Sam Gavin Stevenson and Adam McLlveen team up as lovers of beautiful produce, who enjoy nothing more than cutting out the middleman on their regular journeys to Sydney markets. Their food is purchased at local Sydney markets, packed and delivered on the same day to ensure fresh, long lasting produce.
- Doorstep Organics The team at Doorstep Organics will source organice produce for you and deliver to your home.
- The University of Sydney Food Co-Op Weekly fruit and vegetable boxes are available each Wednesday. You can order your box on a Tuesday night and collect from lunchtime the next day.
- Slowly Does it Food Providing everything from meats and veg to deli items, Slowly Does it Food supports local suppliers whilst providing consumers with a delicious high quality product.
- Organics on a budget Affordable organic produce available in different sized boxes, including juicing packs.
- Harvest Hub Harvest Hub started as a small family co-op, but now supports dozens of growers and consumers across the region.
Short courses and workshops:
University of Western Sydney | Bachelor of Natural Science (Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security)“
Charles Sturt University | Bachelor of Agriculture
La Trobe University | Agricultural Sciences
Australian National University | Sustainable Agricultural Practices
University of Melbourne | Bachelor of Agriculture
The University of Queensland | Agricultural Science
Australian Agricultural College | Multiple courses
The University of Western Australia |Agricultural Science | Master of Agricultural Science: Agricultural Economics