The Salvage Awards was held at the stunning Pocket City Farms on Thursday 21 November 2019. In the luminous sunset, with warm appetites and amidst buoyant conversations, we crowned our winners. Let’s give them a digital round of applause!
- Young Student Champion – Long Nguyen (The University of Sydney)
- Young Community Champion – Maree Thomson (Hidden Harvest)
- Young Influencer – Anita Vandyke (A Zero Waste Life)
- Highly Commended – the Groliste team
It wouldn’t really be a YFM event without serious food for thought by passionate young people. This year, our Young Entrepreneur Award recipient respectfully declined the award, calling to arms everyone on the night to fight the challenges and embrace the joys of working in food sustainability together. Like we say – we’re tackling big issues, one bite at a time. Right on!
Congratulations to all our champions who are making real and substantial improvements in our community on the issue of food waste. We would also like to applaud all our finalists and everyone who made submissions.
We’re so very grape-ful
We are thankful to all who came along and celebrated with us on the night, and special thanks to our fantabulous sponsors:
We also take this opportunity to warmly thank our judges: Jess Miller, Lee Tran Lam and Annika Stott (read more about the judges here). And to all these legends who are taking the time to mentor our winners: Paul Hellier, Ronni Kahn, Catriona Macmillan, Sarah Wilson, our judges Jess Miller and Lee Tran Lam, and YFM’s very own co-founder, Alex Iljadica.
Practice makes parfait
This awards program was created to recognise those who’ve made an exceptional positive contribution towards conquering food waste in NSW. It provides the chance to build networks and funding opportunities, and to provide the encouragement needed to continue these initiatives, amidst a challenging and resource-limited environment.
We want to continue running The Salvage Awards and to improve on it – we need your support!
- The coveted YFM Golden Ticket – it entitles one person guaranteed free entry to all YFM events for one year, anywhere in Australia! For your chance to win this once-in-a-lifetime prize, you need to do two things:
- Share our event on your socials, using the hashtag #TheSalvageAwards and tagging us @yfmaustralia. Use your photo/video from the night, or repost one of our own on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram.
- Complete our survey. Even if you didn’t attend, your valuable feedback helps us understand how we can build on and improve the awards program for everyone in the community.
Stay tuned for the survey link in the next week to complete your comp entry!Click here to complete our survey and enter the competition! (Terms and conditions apply.)
- Are you a foundation, philanthropist, innovative funder or high net worth individual? Or someone who we could partner with? We’d love to connect with you and discuss helping us run our subsequent Salvage Awards more effectively and consistently. Please contact us here.
- If you’d love to help YFM plan and execute our events, sign up to become part of the YFM family as a volunteer. No doubt, we’ll be running this again, as well as other events + projects, and in other chapters around Australia. We’d love to meet you – introduce yourself here!
Dip into more of The Salvage Awards
- Check out our beautiful photos from the event
- Find out more about our winners
- Read about the mechanics and criteria of this awards program
Photo credit: Stephanie Cary, Bear Hunt Photography. Illustration credit: Karri Nott